The NZ Army operates under an Order Of Battle (ORBAT). The Regular Force make up the majority of our numbers and the Army Reserves continue the tradition of part-time soldiering, having the best of both worlds enjoying both a military and civilian career.
Our civilian staff support the NZ Army at all levels, often bringing specialist expertise and performing a wide range of functions to enhance overall defence capabilities.
Download a PDF showing our numbers [199 KB]
New Zealand Army ORBAT
The following map shows the NZ Army chain of command. Note this is only available in PDF.
Download the NZ Army ORBAT in PDF [130 KB] updated September 2016
New Zealand Army Land Capability (Command and Control Relationships)
The following map shows elements that are not directly under the control of the Chief of Army, but which contain NZ Army personnel, and support the Army Land Capability.
Download the NZ Army Land Capability map in PDF [44 KB] published September 2017
The following outlines organisational charts or further information about key areas of the New Zealand Army:
Army General Staff
Army General Staff (Army GS) provides support to the Chief of Army (CA) to raise, train and sustain the NZ Army. The Army GS purpose is to:
- Command, lead and manage Army personnel
- Develop, implement and monitor strategy
- Manage the effort required from Defence Personnel Executive, Capability Branch, Strategic Commitments and Intelligence Branch, Defence Logistics Command, NZDF Shared Services and Contracted Services to deliver against Army's strategy
- Manage resources allocated to Army efficiently and effectively, and
- Foster culture based on Army's ethos and values which are; Courage, Commitment, Comradeship and Integrity.
HQ TRADOC (NZ) is responsible for land-specific doctrine, the mid- and long-lessons-learned loops, the delivery of Army’s individual training, command of the Reserve Infantry Units and directed training evaluation.
Download information about HQ TRADOC (NZ) in PDF [155 KB]
HQ 1 (NZ) Brigade
1 (NZ) Brigade supports peace and security through the provision of task organised forces that are ready to win on operations. HQ 1 (NZ) Brigade commands the NZ Army’s field forces day to day (less special forces) and prepares them for operations.
Download information about HQ 1 NZ Brigade in PDF [153 KB]
This page was last reviewed on 30 August 2017 and is current.